STAGING (2017) Live installation
STAGING (2017) is the second part of a performative diptych, along with STAGED? (2016). The two works contain similar elements – choreographic material, color palette, light and sound installations, vivid pink carpet – and exist as separate entities, each reflecting the distinct frameworks of their presentation. STAGED?, created for theater spaces, considers the hierarchies of the theatrical apparatus, while STAGING, presented in exhibition contexts, destabilizes similar codes and relationships within institutions. While STAGED? has a set duration, a beginning and an end, STAGING is created in the form of a loop, with its duration determined by the venues’ opening hours.
STAGING unfolds as a progression of encounters, installed in multiple sites throughout the building. Apprehended in parts, the accumulation of bodies, colors, sound, light, and architecture, are reminders of multiple fractures of an event that is continually in progress, always STAGING, and which only finds completion in its STAGED? theatrical form.
*** Responding to exhibition contexts, various iterations of STAGING include all or combinations of parts. STAGING – undressed, is an adaptation for public spaces, represented solely by its performers.
Performers (STAGING: quartet): Jessie Gold, Hristoula Harakas, Maria Hassabi, Oisín Monaghan.
Performers (STAGING: solo): Kennis Hawkins, Niall Jones, Mickey Mahar, Paige Martin, Omagbitse Omagbemi, Nancy Stamatopoulou.
Outfits: Victoria Bartlett
Composer: Marina Rosenfeld
Sound Designer: Stavros Gasparatos
Lighting Supervisor: Zack Tinkelman
Production: Kate Scherer
Management: Alexandra Rosenberg
– Remai Modern, Saskatoon, Canada (October 21, 22) — undressed
– Aarhus 2017, City Hall, Aarhus, Denmark (September 25-30) — undressed
– documenta14, Kassel, Germany (September 11–17) – live installation
– Evergreen/Don River Valley Park, Toronto, Canada (July 7, 8) — undressed
– documenta14, Kassel, Germany (June 7 – September 17) – installation
– documenta14, Kassel, Germany (June 7–16)
– Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN (February 8 – July 30) – installation
– Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN (February 8–19)
Coproduced by Aarhus 2017, Denmark; documenta14, Kassel; Evergreen/Don River Valley Park, Toronto; Keir Foundation, Sydney; with support from Dancehouse, Melbourne; Ministry of Education and Culture, Cyprus; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Ammodo Foundation, Amsterdam. Partially developed in-residency at Baryshnikov Arts Center, New York.